As an international student, you can work part-time on or off campus in Canada. Earn extra spending money while gaining valuable Canadian work experience.

Campus Jobs

Provided you meet the eligibility criteria below, you can work on the campus of any publicly funded post-secondary institution, such as a college or CEGEP, without a work permit.

Your employer could be the following:

  • The educational institution
  • The faculty
  • A student organization
  • A private business or contractor providing services to the campus
  • An offsite campus site that has a formal connection with the institution

You are eligible to work on-campus if:

  • You hold a study permit
  • You are a full-time student
  • You are registered at a public post-secondary institution

Off-Campus Jobs

You may also consider seeking an off-campus job that allows you to work for any employer.

You can work up to 20 hours per week during the regular term and full-time during scheduled breaks, like winter and summer holidays.

You are eligible to work off-campus campus if:

Internships and Co-op Programs

There are also other ways to earn extra money and gain valuable work experience. As an international student, you can participate in a co-op or internship program.

These work placement programs blend classroom instruction with real-world industry experience. Typically, students study one semester and work the next and so on. This is an excellent way to build your resume and kick start your career!

You are eligible to receive a work permit, if:

  • You hold a study permit
  • Your intended employment is an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
  • Your employment is part of your academic program, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% of the total program of study.

For more information on internship and co-op programs, please visit Studying in Canada: Work permits for students – Co-op and internship programs